I must start this post with a statement that could not me any truer; I’m a creature of habit. By this, I mean that I tend to (…always) fall into all types of habits throughout my life. One of the main areas of my life that this applies has to be food. For example, if I fall in love with a type of curry, I’ll make it twice a week until it magically disappears just to be replaced with another go-to – make it over and over – meal. I would say that the dressing for this salad has fallen into the category of my life. This habit happened suddenly but definitely in full force! I made it after being inspired by Mary McDougall (Dr. McDougall’s wife who’s responsible for all of the recipes in The Starch Solution). Mary creates many dressings and dips by blending a tofu block with various ingredients depending on the result wanted.
I thought I could easily take this approach to create a creamy and spiced Mexican dressing, and man, it turned out great! There are no “one way” to do make this recipe, you can decide to modify or even omit some spices I personally used, depending on your liking. Aside from the block of tofu and the spice blend, I also added some water and lemon juice to this dressing to thin it out. Thanks to the lemon juice, this dressing keeps well in the fridge for up to one week.
This technique has been my new favorite way of making my dressings. As long as you need a creamy dressing, I think this is entirely fool-proof, you simply apply whatever flavor profile you are after and blend away! The rest of the ingredients of this salad are pretty standard, aside from the tofu mince. I tried crumbling an extra firm tofu block and baking it to mimic minced beef. This also turned out great, it was delicious and added a great texture to the salad. I finished the salad by adding the no-brainers; rice, salsa, corn, olives, green onions, cilantro and avocado. This salad is easily made for a big group of people (which is ideal for summer BBQs and potlucks) especially since everyone loves Mexican food during the summertime.
I hope you give this one a try, if so, tag me in your pictures using @parsleyvegan on Instagram! Also, check-out my latest Youtube video where you can see some behind the scene of the making of this recipe!
- rice (or quinoa)
- roasted or grilled corn
- green onions
- tofu meat
- 1 block of extra firm tofu, crumbled
- 1 tsp each of paprika, chilli powder, onion powder, garlic powder, dried oregano and thyme
- 1 block of medium firm tofu
- 3-4 tbs lemon juice
- 2-3 tbs water
- 1 tsp each of paprika, chili powder, onion powder, garlic powder
- ½ tsp each of cumin, salt, black pepper
- Preheat oven at 400.
- Cook the rice as per the package's instructions.
- Crumble the extra firm tofu and mix in the spices, place on a non-stick baking tray and bake for 20 minutes or more.
- Blend the dressing ingredients together and set aside in the refrigerator until ready to serve. This could be done a day in advance.
- Grill the corn cobs and cut along with all of the other vegetables and set aside.
- Assemble the salad once all of your components are cooked.