If you watched my latest what I eat in a day video, you will have seen that I LOVE ME SOME SUSHI. Actually, this was not always the case. Funny story, about 5 years ago I went to an all-you-can-eat sushi restaurant and tried eating a big roll, I can’t even remember which kind it was… All I remember is that I had the hardest time swallowing it. That moment marked me so much that it completely turned me off eating sushi entirely until about 1 year ago when I gave them a try again… I’ve been hooked ever since, as you can tell by this and this.
I want to bring forward all of my favorite kinds of sushi on the blog. Today, I thought I would bring you a deconstructed summer sushi bowl that contains some of my favorite refreshing ingredients for sushi. Mango is the true star in this dish (in my opinion), although it has a few close runner-ups like the vegan spicy mayo drizzle and the kimchi. The flavors and textures of the ingredients of this dish mesh very well together and can easily be turned into sushi rolls and not a sushi bowl if that’s what you’re in the mood for.
I’m convinced this spicy mayo will change your life… It surely has changed mine. I put that s**t on everything including in sushi salads (yes there is such a thing) as the dressing mixed with some lemon juice. This mayo is also amazing on vegan burgers, sandwiches and wraps. Since it contains some lemon juice, it also keeps in the fridge for a good while (about 1 week) which ensures you go through it (if it lasts you that long).
Let me know if you try this recipe out! I would love to see how you made your sushi bowl or sushi rolls! If you feel like sharing, tag me using @parsleyvegan or the hashtag #parsleyvegan on Instagram!
- bowl ingredients
- 1 cup rice, cooked (white, sushi, jasmine, basmati, brown all work well here)
- 1 cup fresh mango, cubed
- 1 small cucumber, sliced thin
- ¼ cup homemade kimchi or store-bought
- ½ avocado, sliced or cubed
- 1 green onion, sliced thin
- spicy mayo (ingredients below)
- sesame seeds, to taste
- spicy mayo ingredients
- 1 block of medium firm tofu, well rinced
- 3 tbs lemon juice
- 1-2 tbs sriracha
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp crushed pepper flakes
- ½ tsp salt
- Start by making the spicy mayo, this can be done ahead of time like mentioned before. Blend all of the mayo ingredients until very smooth and refrigerate until ready to assemble.
- Cook the rice as per the package’s instructions.
- Cut and prep all the vegetables and the mango.
- Assemble the bowl as you want and enjoy!