This “tuna” chickpea salad is a must for the summer time. As you can see from the pictures, I turned it into the filling for some lettuce cups but you could honestly eat this by the spoonful, in a sandwich, in a wrap or even throw in some cold pasta a turn this into a pasta salad! What’s also great about it is that you can make the salad a day in advance and serve it quickly to guests or your family.
If you’re not a fan of tahini, feel free to replace it for vegan mayonnaise. Making this dish brought me back to my non-vegan childhood! Don’t knock this until you’ve tried it!
- 1 can chickpeas
- ¼ to ½ of a medium red onion, minced or diced small
- 1 stalk celery, diced small
- 2-3 tbs tahini
- 1 tbs dijon
- 1 tbs lemon juice
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp salt
- Rinse well and drain the chickpeas.
- Please in a large bowl and mash with a fork or potato masher until you obtain a uniform dough with some chunks left.
- Add in all of the remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Place in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour or until ready to use.
- Wash and dry the lettuce cups and add a big dollop of the "tuna" mixture in each one.